In a strange but warm way, secondhand shopping makes me feel like I’m going to a shelter to adopt a cat and give it the love it deserves. It’s giving the piece of clothing another chance to be worn. It feels good to recycle and purchase something at a lower price in good quality. I was thrift shopping today and ended up purchasing a beautiful satin peach dress for $7. While I was browsing there was a pair of Gucci shoes for significantly a tiny fraction of the original price. Secondhand shopping is such a wonderful option for those on a budget or for anyone who wants to support the cycle of wearing clothes until the threads start falling.
1. Recycle Boutique is a consignment based fashion company specialising in helping you buy and sell your secondhand designer clothing. We provide a fun, fast and easy platform to recycle your wardrobe. Whether you’re looking for that designer piece or a quirky vintage gem, we pride ourselves on having one of the largest selections of recycled designer clothing in New Zealand. At present, a lot of our clothing is ending up in landfills throughout New Zealand. We need to recycle our secondhand clothing in order to reduce this textile waste in these landfills.
2. Tatty’s has a city outlet on High St, with a mixture of designer and vintage clothing. They also have a nice range of shoes, where I even spotted a pair of PAZZO boots! It was almost like a hidden little treasure on the street, as I must have walked past the store many times before I stepped inside. From the outside, it appears small, but as you walk in, there is a huge range of clothing inside for men and women. Everything is colour coordinated, similar to Recycle Boutique.
3. Paper Bag Princess is your one-stop shop for affordable secondhand clothing. With branded seconded hand clothing and awesome 70s, 80s and 90s vintage clothing, we have something for everyone. Paper Bag Princess is always on the look out for cool new trends and endeavours to find the coolest items for the customers. Keep New Zealand beautiful and purchase second hand to limit textile waste and support a sustainable fashion industry. Paper Bag Princess loves to support charities around New Zealand and donates proceeds to a variety of charities.
4. Finders Keepers sells high quality recycled Women’s clothing and accessories. They’re a recycled clothing store based in Newmarket selling a wide range of clothing including current trend-based designer labels and retro vintage gems. Finders Keepers also offer an abundance of accessories, including jewellery, scarves, belts, shoes and bags.
5. Emporio U is a ladies designer recycle clothing store on High Street. They sell designer labels such as Prada, Gucci, Chanel, Max Mara, Dries Van Noten, Hermes, Chloe, Ferragamo, Armani, Zambesi, A. Winkleman, Marilyn Sainty, plus many more designer items. They have a range of different clothing for those one-off finds, daily wear or pieces for certain occasions.