My name is Katie, and I was born and raised in New Zealand. I live in the big little city Auckland, but am a country girl at heart. The blog was started because I needed an outlet to share my thoughts in an online journal. I left home when I was 16 and went to university to study a Bachelor of Music in Classical performance on the Flute. When I was 18 I realized it wasn’t what I wanted as a career, and moved to Sydney for 2 years interning, working and studying. I’m now studying a Bachelor of Arts in Communication at Auckland Uni.
Aside from the study journey, I love music, writing, fashion, thrift shopping, skincare, reading, watching films, ethical products and traveling. My family is from Taiwan, and I grew up speaking Mandarin. I’m an introvert and can spend hours reading, walking, writing and doing things on my own. However, I really value close friends and having deep, meaningful conversations. I’m a highly sensitive person and am incredibly empathetic which can be a blessing and a curse. I’m a Christian and grew up going to church.
I’m an animal lover and grew up with many pets and farm animals from cats, dog, chickens, fish, guinea pigs, budgies, mice, pigs, horses, sheep, cows and so on. I believe in the law of attraction, striving to be your best self and always learning and growing. I had depression and anxiety for many years since I was a teenager, and it’s still something I’m learning to cope with. I’m passionate about raising awareness on mental health, body positivity, ethical fashion, self-love, asian culture, being an introvert and my rambling thoughts.
5 random facts:
1. I grew up playing and listening to a lot of Classical and Jazz. Since I was young, I loved falling asleep and listening to Beethoven on tape. Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Dave Brubeck, Nat King Cole, Norah Jones, Stevie Wonder, and Ray Charles were some of my favourite Jazz musicians. Ella Fitzgerald is forever my Jazz queen. Some of the songs I listened to too much were Cantaloupe Island and It’s a Raggy Waltz.
2. One of my pet peeves is people who use their phone too much. I think it has become a norm to use our phones in others presence, but I am definitely someone who values having friends who don’t use their phone too much. I really value staying in the present and being engaged in conversations when I’m with someone. There is definitely a love-hate relationship with social media and my phone.
3. Libraries and bookstores are one of my favourite places. I especially love the bookstores in Taipei and the secret small bookstores in the corners of Auckland. One of my favourite childhood memories was going to the library every weekend, and spending an hour or two there and borrowing a pile of books to read. I’d spend the Summer reading out on the farm and lying under the trees with the cat.
4. Most of my clothes are thrifted. Fast fashion is like fast food, and I really do think that when we shop second hand, we can discover our own personal style rather than following what’s popular. I think it’s also important to support local fashion and ethical/sustainable brands. Fashion is one of the top polluters in the world, and shopping second hand gives clothes a second chance.
5. I’m an old soul and a child at heart. I remember writing somewhere that growing up I loved watching old films, watching musicals, ballets, operas, listening to old Jazz, reading English literature, talking about history, thinking about deep things, going out for long walks and staring at nature. I would describe myself as a little strange, quirky, deep, quiet and silly at the same time. A person that opens up more and more only to a few people. However, I’m also a child at heart who gets easily amused and laughs at the silliest things.
Some blog posts dear to my heart:
Feel free to get in touch with me at: