Today I turned 20, and as strange as it feels to say that, it was only a decade ago when I was so delighted to be turning 10 years old. I remember telling my parents that it is the golden age, because I would be a decade old. How time has flied by. At heart I still feel like the girl who loves to run onto the trampoline or dance around home, and even when I was 18, I still didn’t feel anything near an adult. I feel as if my 20’s will bring many new experiences, meeting new people, more travelling, lessons and exciting moments waiting to happen. Whatever I end up doing in my 20’s, I know it will be worthwhile, and every chapter will teach me something new. The most important thing is to make the most of it and enjoy it. For now, here are the 20 things I have learned since turning 20 years old.
1. Everyone is embarking on their own journey. There are many people in this world who very often feel the way we feel. Every person will face their barriers and freedoms that they will journey through.
2. Don’t take life too seriously. See the humour in most things. We can make our lives far more serious than it really is, that we might forget all the fun we could have!
3. You are just a small part of an infinite universe. Our problems can seem like the end of the world. But from a birds eye view or a person looking through the window, they are just a tiny part.
4. Do most things before you are ready. There are too many things waiting to be tried at this moment, that sometimes waiting for the right moment may never happen. You just have to go for it.
5. Muster the energy to always have something positive in your mind. Life comes with its ups and downs. One of the best skills is to always see the good in some way no matter how bad things can get.
6. Exercise and sweat. Your body will thank you for it. Don’t neglect a stroll down the city, going to the gym or taking the stairs. Your heart needs it and plus, it’s good for your mind and body.
7. Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s okay to make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them. Don’t put too much pressure or stress on yourself when it isn’t necessary.
8. You are exactly where you are meant to be. We often wait for that right moment. For what ever reason where you are, is quite possibly where you are meant to be. Take opportunities and try enjoy and stay in the moment.
9. Getting out of your comfort zone will lessen your fears. The things that make your spine tingle, will subside when you face them. Most things aren’t as scary as our imagination.
10. Bananas are a super fruit. Breakfast, snack, cereal, oats, porridge, smoothie, up & go, banana bread, banana cake. Bananas are life.
11. Enjoying life is the most important thing we can do. As the saying goes, “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
12. Cry it out, but never let it consume you. Express your feelings when you need to and don’t ever bottle things up. But, make sure the feelings don’t destroy you.
13. Enjoy each year of your life. Each year seems to go by so fast. Before you know it the end of the year arrives with Christmas and travels. Make the most of it.
14. Living one day without music is impossible. Listening to music is life’s simple joys. Who could go one day without it?
15. Hearing the voices of loved ones is true happiness. Talking on the phone and hearing your loved ones can really warm your heart.
16. Learning to be independent at a young age is a gift. It’s worth it to work from a young age. Learning to be financially and mentally independent will teach you what’s yet to come.
17. For wisdom is far more valuable than rubies. Nothing you desire can compare with it. Proverbs 8:11. A person can be extremely smart, but without wisdom they won’t truly know what’s right and wrong.
18. Be humble. There’s enough people in this world who want to be better than someone else. You are enough.
19. Facing the hard times will make you stronger. Never become the hard times. Never carry it into your presence and future. You will learn so much from those moments and become stronger because of it. The best is yet to come, and anything hard won’t seem so bad the next time.
20. Each breath we take is precious. Good health is a gift. We never know when it will be our last breath. Cherish each breath.